This TexMex Rice Bake is a plate full of comfort food, with a whole lotta veggies packed in, and some zingy Mexican flavor to boot. I got the inspiration from this recipe on the blog Fun Without Fodmaps, another great resource if you’re looking for low FODMAP recipes. My version adds more vegetables for fiber and vitamins, and also changes up the seasonings a bit. I also use grass fed beef in my version because that seems to be the house favorite, but this casserole is adaptable to work with pretty much any type of ground meat.
The low FODMAP taco seasoning I like to use is this one from Trader Joe’s:
This is a recipe we keep going back to again and again. The flavor profile is accessible for kids, but not boring for adults. It’s also a great make-ahead option. You can assemble the casserole a day or two ahead of time, and then just pop it into the oven when you need it. The leftovers keep well, and it heats up for a great lunch the next day. Since my kiddo can’t eat school lunches (no reliable low FODMAP options are available at their school), I like to make dinners that will leave leftovers for exactly that purpose.
The other thing that’s great about this recipe is that it works with a variety of vegetables. If you don’t have yellow squash on hand, no worries, just double up on the zucchini. Or if you don’t like green bell pepper, not a problem – just skip it. And if you’re looking for some other Mexican-inspired recipes on the blog, check out my low FODMAP Chicken Tortilla Soup and these Mexican Chocolate Popsicles.
We hope you love this TexMex Rice Bake as much as we do!
TexMex Rice Bake (low FODMAP)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 8 oz ground grass fed beef
- 15 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 green bell diced
- 4 oz chopped mild green chiles canned
- 2 tsp Trader Joe’s taco seasoning or other low FODMAP taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 to 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion tops optional
- chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9” x 9” baking dish to prevent sticking.
- If the brown rice hasn't been cooked yet, go ahead and get that going. Prepare the rice according to package instructions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic-infused oil, low FODMAP taco seasoning, cumin and ground meat. Cook the meat, breaking into crumbles, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green bell pepper, diced zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for a few more minutes, until softening.
- Add the diced tomatoes and green chile. Stir to mix and cook a bit longer. Add the cooked brown rice and mix it all together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly on top. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 18-20 minutes or until the rice mixture is warm and bubbling. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is well melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve hot topped with optional sliced green onion tops (green parts only) and fresh cilantro.