Healthy and economical, this salad is refreshing and lemony, with the satisfying crunch of a tuna patty on top.
Tuna Fritter Salad
A crunchy tuna fritter sits atop a bed of fresh greens with a lemon Dijon dressing – gluten-free, low FODMAPPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
For the tuna fritters
- 3 5 to 6-ounce cans tuna
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup gluten-free white bread torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbsp liquid from the cans of tuna
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley chopped
- 3 Tbsp chives or green onions chopped, green parts only
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce to taste
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 eggs
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
For the salad
- 4 cup lettuce leaves washed and torn
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp green onions chopped
For the dressing
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp dill
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, mustard, torn white bread, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, chives, flaxseed and hot sauce. Add salt and pepper. Taste the mixture before adding the egg to see if it needs more seasoning to your taste. Mix in the egg.
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts. With each part, form into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Place onto a wax paper-lined tray and chill for an hour. (You can skip the chilling if you are short on time. Chilling just helps the patties stay together when you cook them.)
- While the tuna fritters are chilling, assemble the salad in a large serving bowl.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients into a small jar and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron or stick-free skillet on medium high. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve a large helping of salad with a tuna fritter on top. Offer the dressing on the side.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 470mg | Potassium: 926mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 18403IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @EatFreshMama or tag #eatfreshmama!