We love blueberry muffins in this house. But once we began shifting toward eating more gluten-free, I had a heck of a time adapting my old tried-and-true blueberry muffin recipe to a gluten-free version that wasn’t dry and disappointing. I just couldn’t give up though. Finally after a ton of trial and error, these Blueberry Lemon Muffins were born!
They are absolutely bursting with blueberries. The mashed banana and flaxseed make them moist and help them stick together. And the lemon flavor adds a subtle brightness to them that is such a great way to start the morning. Even for a non morning person like me. They are gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free and vegan. I recommend baking a double batch because, at least in our house, they go quick!
This recipe calls for aquafaba, which is a fancy name for the liquid from a can of beans. It’s my favorite vegan egg replacer. Technically any can of beans contains aquafaba, but for baking purposes, the liquid from garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) is recommended because of its light color and lack of noticeable flavor. Three tablespoons of aquafaba is equivalent to one egg, so you’ll want to use 6 tablespoons here. It works best when you whip the aquafaba for a minute or so with a whisk before adding them to the mix. If you’re curious about all the other amazing uses for aquafaba, you can read more here.
This recipe also calls for oat flour. If you don’t happen to have oat flour but you do have rolled oats on hand, just throw some oats into a high speed blender and voila! Instant oat flour.
Give them a try and let me know how you like these Blueberry Lemon Muffins!
Blueberry Lemon Muffins (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 6 tbsp aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas!)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp plant milk of choice
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350* and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and coconut palm sugar.
- Whip the aquafaba in a separate large mixing bowl until foamy. Add the almond butter, bananas, vanilla, plant milk, lemon zest and lemon juice to the aquafaba bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Gently fold in the fresh or frozen blueberries and combine gently by hand to avoid crushing the blueberries.
- Fill the lined muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for about 22 minutes.
Substitutions for the aquafabaInstead of the aquafaba, you can use
- 2 flax eggs, or
- 2 large eggs