Since we’ve been home social distancing for the Coronavirus outbreak, I’ve been doing a lot of cooking. A LOT. It makes me so happy trying out new recipes in the kitchen, especially when they’re healthy and made from mostly pantry staples. I’m trying to ration our fresh vegetables and fruits so they last as long as possible. Luckily we bought 4 Costco sized bags of potatoes before going into isolation (russet, sweet, yukon and fingerling) as well as a giant bag of onions. So I made this tasty Potato Breakfast Hash the other morning. It made enough to stretch for a couple mornings. You could also put it into a burrito with rice and beans and make a breakfast burrito.
This recipe has a lot of wiggle room for customizing it to your liking. It calls for taco seasoning. My favorite of the moment is Trader Joe’s Chile Lime, pictured above in the background. It gives that taco feeling without a lot of heavy spice.
Once the hash is done cooking and you’re ready to serve it up, it goes with so many things. In the photo I’ve added a dollop of homemade Cashew Cheese (you can also find it in stores) as well as some sliced avocado. You could also top it with some tomatillo salsa or some Bitchin’ Sauce, if they carry that almond-based condiment in your area. The possibilities are endless!
Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 russet potato diced small
- 1 sweet potato diced small
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup kale leaves thinly sliced
- sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 squeeze limes
- 2 Tbsp Salsa optional
- 2 Tbsp cashew cheese optional
- 2 Tbsp Bitchin' sauce optional
- 1/2 avocado optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the oil, shallots and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the potato, sweet potato and taco seasoning.
- Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kale on top and cover with a lid. Allow to steam until wilted. Turn off the stove.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the hash. Mix thoroughly to combine. Adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with any or all of the following accompaniments: avocado, cashew cheese, salsa, and/or Bitchin' Sauce.