These Balsamic Roasted Veggies are far more delicious than my home photography gives them credit for. Tossed in a light maple balsamic dressing before they go into the oven, they come out carmelized, with their natural sweetness highlighted. And the kale gets crispy, which I just luuuuve. Vegetarians, if you want to make a full meal out of them, add some toasted walnuts and parmesan. Since I’m dairy-free at the moment, I skip the cheese.
Other Veggie Options
In addition to being gluten-free, this veggie mix is also low FODMAP – so no garlic, onion, Brussel sprouts or cauliflower. But if you don’t have to worry about avoiding FODMAPs, any of those vegetables would make great additions! I would just avoid softer, wetter vegetables like zucchini or yellow squash so they still come out of the oven with that crunch.
I don’t often cook with fennel, but let me just say: yum! I avoided it for years because I’d heard it has a licorice flavor, and I detest licorice. I wish I’d tried it sooner! It’s like the faintest hint of a whisper of licorice, but in a gentle way that adds a little mystery flavor to a dish. If you’ve not tried fennel, give it a go. You should core it and then slice it. This video can show you how.
The herbs are another important component of this dish. Fresh basil and parsley add another dimension to the flavors.
These Balsamic Roasted Veggies make a great side for any special gathering. They’d be a fine addition to the menu at Thanksgiving or Christmas, or just a dinner with friends. We had them recently at our house along with a low FODMAP pork tenderloin. I just wished the pictures turned out as well as dinner did!
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments!
Balsamic Roasted Vegetables (low FODMAP)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 12 oz green beans cut into 2-inch pieces
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 fennel bulb cored and thinly sliced
- 1 leek green ends coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional, omit for vegan
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts optional
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley chopped
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray an extra-large, rimmed baking sheet, or 2 smaller ones, with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place bell pepper, green beans, broccoli, kale, fennel, and leek in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup. Pour mixture over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spread vegetables evenly in a single layer on prepared pan(s).
- Roast 20-22 minutes in preheated oven until vegetables are softened and caramelized, stirring once halfway through.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and walnuts (optional), basil and parsley. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a large bowl or platter.
Modified from https://giveitsomethyme.com/balsamic-roasted-green-vegetables/#recipe